Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: The Girl in the Park

The Girl in the Park

The Girl in the Park
By: Mariah Fredericks
Pages: 224
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Source: ARC received from Publisher ( Thank you)



Goodreads Synopsis:


When Wendy Geller's body is found in Central Park after the night of a rager, newspaper headlines scream,"Death in the Park: Party Girl Found Strangled." But shy Rain, once Wendy's best friend, knows there was more to Wendy than just "party girl." As she struggles to separate the friend she knew from the tangle of gossip and headlines, Rain becomes determined to discover the truth about the murder. Written in a voice at once immediate, riveting, and utterly convincing, Mariah Frederick's mystery brilliantly exposes the cracks in this exclusive New York City world and the teenagers that move within it. -Goodreads-




My Thoughts:


I am not going to lie.... the cover of the book gives me chills.  The book sat on my bookshelf for a really long time because I could not get past the cover.  Many of you know that I am a sucker for covers.  Sometimes, when I see a cover that just doesn't spark my interest I will by pass it and not even give it a chance.  I know that I should not do this.  You know, "never judge a book by its cover...blah blah blah..."  But I can't get past them.  :(  And this book was a victim to this very reason.  And I should have listened to all of you that told me in the past hey....don't judge a book by its cover.....

This book was beyond good.  I started writing this review about a week and half ago but I could not find the words to express this story. The story is more then a few hundred pages in between two covers.  It is a heart felt story that makes you appreciate every single one of your friends.  It makes you want to reach out to those long lost friends that have drifted away and try to make your friendship work because you don't know when you will be able to talk to them again.  I personally have never read a book that made me feel that way before.  It definitely makes you think, what would you say if you never saw that friend again??? 

Rain has this one friend who is always there.  She has been friends with her since forever and they are drifting apart.  But she is trying her hardest to still be friends with her.  See she doesn't always understand the decisions that she has made.  But sometimes you just have to just be there for moral support.  Well when they go to party with their classmates, Rain leaves Wendy at the party because Wendy claimed she was fine.  Well now it is the next day and Wendy's body was found in Central Park.....dead.  I don't know how I would ever recover from this.  It would take a really strong person, and I just don't know if I am that strong.  

This book showed how such a young girl takes the heartache and how she tries to deal with it.  It was more then a page turner.  It made you want more.  It made you want everything to be okay for Rain, for her to be in peace with what happened. The author did something that not many author can do.  She made you feel sorry for the characters.  Mariah did an amazing job!  I will read anything that she ever writes because she is truly a great author! And  I could not believe when I heard that the author got the inspiration for this book by seeing a news story about an actual girl being found in Central Park.  That is just heart breaking.  



My Rating: 

I am giving this book 5 out 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment