Sunday, December 18, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)


The Hunger Games
By: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Release Date: 2008


Goodreads Synopsis:


In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love. -Goodreads-



My Thoughts:






I know what you are thinking....."You are just now reading The Hunger Games!?!?!?!?!"  Yes, I am.  When I first picked up the book and I thought to myself....I really don't like the cover, I might not get into this.

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)

I read the first few pages and I just couldn't get into it.  I am sorry to say, I read to page 20 and put the book down because I didn't like it.  Usually I give a book up to page 50 but I couldn't do it.  So I went on with my book reading.  Then the unthinkable happened.....The trailer came out!




And I was in love.  But I thought to myself, I really should read the books before I see the movie.  So I was browsing the internet the other night and I came across this website called ebookfling.com.  The website allows you to lend, and borrow ebooks online with other members.  And I decided to borrow this book.  And was I glad I did.

I instantly fell in love with Katniss.  She is strong willed but yet deep down is very unsure of herself and her surroundings.  She has so much love for her sister that she would do anything for her including sacrifice her life in the Hunger Games so that her sister doesn't have to go.  When that happened in the book I couldn't believe it.  No one would do that for their family during this time.  I mean that is practically committing  suicide.  The game is that 24 go into the area and only 1 comes out.  Not the best odds in the world....not even the best odds period!  

Katniss was sent to the Capital, along with Peeta; the boy tribute from District 12, to get ready for the Hunger Games.  They need to attract sponsors and make the people love them.  During this time you find out that there is more than meets the eye with Peeta and Katniss.  Peeta loves Katniss and she doesn't know it.  How amazing is that!  A love story in the mist of death.  This is why I love dystopians so much.  Some love the swoon that other books bring to the table, but these books do the same thing but just with something a little extra!  

After some kissing and major twist at the end of the book it really sucks you in.  You just can't get enough of the Hunger Games.  You want more, and you will get it.  :)

The whole book and story between Katniss and Peeta was amazing!  You truly fell in love with both characters.  And you seriously fall madly in love with their heroism.  You wanted them to survive for each other.  You wanted both of them to make it. You want them to be together.  I can not wait to read Catching Fire.  I have to know what happens next.  Do they stay together? Do they make it work?  DON'T TELL ME!!!  I will read it. 


My Rating:


I am giving this book 5 out 5 stars!  Yes it is that good!  Everyone should read this book! Should be required reading in school!  Maybe it is.....





No comments:

Post a Comment