Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: Vespertine

The Vespertine (The Vespertine, #1)


The Vespertine
By: Saundra Mitchell
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Pages: 293
Release date:  March 7, 2011
Source: Borrowed from Library



Goodreads Synopsis:





It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.

When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause. -Goodreads-



My Thoughts:



So this book was pushed on me by Lynn at Bringing the Epic.  She has always pushed really great books on me so when she was like, " you have to read this book!  It is my favorite book of the year!" So I promised her I would give it time when I have the time.  Well I had the time and I am happy I did. 

The book is a historical fiction and it is about this girl named Amelia.  Amelia goes and lives in Baltimore with a family.  While she is there she is going to go to school and work for the family.  But also during this time, she becomes very close friends with Zora, the daughter of the house.  But also while she is there she meets Nathaniel, and there is more than meets the eye with Nathaniel but she just can not put her finger on it.

This book had everything that I thought was going to be in the book.  It had a great love story, and a great mystery story to it.  This would defiantly be a book that I would recommend to someone that loves books where there always is a happy ending.  This is defiantly a book for them.  The only thing that I can complain about the book is that it did have a happy ending.  I prefer books that keep you going.  Keep your attention and make you want more.  This book was just a really good book.  It was a easy read and a rainy day read.  I need more suspense to the story.  But that is just me.  Some out there are going to fall in love with the this story.....like Lynn.  Check out her review HERE!



My Rating:


I am giving this book 3 out 5 stars.  If you like historical fiction with some paranormal this book has to be on your reading list!



:)

No comments:

Post a Comment