Sunday, January 8, 2012

Review: Lovetorn




Lovetorn



Lovetorn
By: Kavita Daswani
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 304 
Release Date: January 17, 2012
Source: ARC given for review



Goodreads Synopsis:





When Shalini’s father gets a new job in L.A., she is torn away from her life in India and the boy to whom she’s been betrothed since she was three. L.A. is so different, and Shalini dresses and talks all wrong. She isn’t sure she’ll survive high school in America without her fiancé, Vikram, and now she has to cope with her mom’s homesickness and depression. A new friend, chill and confident Renuka, helps Shalini find her way and get up the courage to join the Food4Life club at school. But she gets more than just a friend when she meets Toby—she gets a major crush. Shalini thinks she loves Vikram, but he never made her feel like this. 
In Lovetorn, Shalini discovers that your heart ultimately makes its own choices, even when it seems as if your destiny has already been chosen. -Goodreads-




My Thoughts:



When I received this book from the publisher I thought to myself that I really loved the cover.  I am a sucker for what the cover looks like.  I know you are not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but I do.  I loved the design on the side of the book.  I was interested in knowing more.  I had to know more.

You meet Shalini.  She and her family are moving to L.A. from India.  All  she has known is India.  She doesn't know what people do here, she doesn't know what they wear, or even where they buy their groceries.  So when her family gets to the states it is a real experience.  So she goes to the local high school, but she is having a hard fitting in.  People don't like her because she is different.  She is having a hard time meeting friends and just being a normal teenager.  Which is very sad because I have some of my best memories in high school.  I met some of my best friends there(which I am still friends with), and I met my husband there(yes we are high school sweethearts).  High school was awesome....most of the time. :)  

While there she meets this guy Toby.  Toby is in the school orchestra, he is popular, and not to mention extremely good looking.  So she develops a major crush on him.  But there is one thing holding her back.  Her boyfriend that is still in India.  Yeah that is defiantly a problem.  So she is torn between to guys that she is madly and deeply crushing over. How awesome does this book seem????

At first I didn't know how I would feel about this book.  I thought it was just another contemporary novel to go along with the many others.  Boy was I wrong.  This book showed a girl not only dealing with the issues that she is facing.  But it also showed the issues that her family was dealing with as a whole.  Sometimes books don't do that.  And I really liked that this one did.  To me it kind of made the book stand out even more.  This will defiantly be a book that I would recommend to someone that want a really great easy read.

Thank you Kavita Daswani for such an awesome and heart felt book.  You are amazing.  This book had everything it needed, love, sadness, and adventure all in one!


My Rating:


I am giving this book 4 out 5 stars.   

:)











No comments:

Post a Comment