Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The summer I turned pretty


The summer I turned pretty
By: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pages: 276
Source: Bought the book for review


Goodreads Synopsis: 

Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.


My Thoughts:

So again I am starting this about how my good friend Lynn told me about this "great book" and how I should stop what I am reading and read it now.  Oh yeah how I would tell I don't know maybe another time....Well this past weekend I took Lynn to her first Half Priced Books trip.  As we were looking at the shelves of books I noticed The summer I turned pretty.  I showed it to Lynn and her response was "Oh my God you have to buy that and read it!"  I looked at the price and was like okay!  I picked it up yesterday thinking that it will be a nice easy read and OH MY GOD it was amazing! 

I never excepted to love this story so much.  You meet Belly and honestly at first I thought I was going to hate her.  She was a whiny little brat, who tried to get her brother and the other boys in trouble because she wasn't getting her way.  I have sister's that are like this and I automatically thought of them when I was reading about Belly.  Belly, her mom, and her brother go to a beach house with her mom's best friends family.  They have done this for many years and they all have become a family.  Belly loves the beach house.  This is all she knows during the summer.  But will this summer be different or will it be the same as all the other summers?

I think that Belly has really grown throughout the years just by the little stories that you are told within the book.  She is really trying to become a great young women and to me she has really accomplished that.  You really feel for her and her friends Conrad and Jeremiah with the hardship they are dealt with during this summer.  You really feel how much pain they are going through.   

This book was one of the best books that I have read in a really long time.  I think that writing was amazing and the characters were amazing!  I really can not wait to read the second and third book of the series!!!  I have to find out what happens to Belly!!!!


My Rating:  

I gave this book 5 out 5 stars!  It is kind of hard for me to give a book 5 stars because I will always find something wrong with a book or a character.  When I first started the book and I thought Belly was going to ruin this book for me, but you know what....she was really a great part of the book.  I think that if you haven't read this book you really need to leave your computer and go to the store right now and get this book!!!  It is really worth it!!


:)

3 comments:

  1. I agree! I didn't like Belly at first, but she quickly grew on me. There's so much realism to this series and so much beauty. I need to finish the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read this yet but it sounds great, your review was kind of hard to read with the black text. Very cute blog though I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! You should always listen to Lynn..she is wise. lol! and DJ! You haven't finished them yet?! Do I need to buy it for you? because yea. It's amazing. lol :) Good review, Laci!!

    ReplyDelete